Protecting the Legal Rights of Individuals in Slip and Fall Accidents
According to the National Safety Council almost 9 million people each year visit the emergency room because of injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents. If you trip and fall down, you risk serious injuries and potentially long-term medical problems. To make it worse, you may be worried about whether you will be able to pay for your medical bills and how you can recover your lost wages. We can help. At Salomon & Aquino, LLC, we protect the rights of people who have suffered serious slip and fall injuries. When these kinds of accidents are the result of someone else’s negligence, victims are generally entitled to financial compensation for the losses they sustain. Examples of the kinds of damages that are often successfully recovered after a slip and fall accident include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of quality of life
- Property damage
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
Lawyer for my Slip and Fall Case
In our 54 years of protecting the injured, we have successfully handled MANY slip and fall cases. From ice and snow, parking lot accidents, to cracks in the sidewalk, we have helped people in all types of accidents. The first question that we ask is the easiest: “What made you fall?” If you don’t have a good answer to that, you probably don’t have a case. Before you even think about calling an attorney, we offer you some advice. We strongly urge you to do two things to protect your interests. First, take a photograph of whatever made you fall – crack in the street, unleveled sidewalk, broken curb, protruding object, accumulated snow or ice – whatever it is PHOTOGRAPH it. That picture will be the foundation of your case. Second, look around the area where you fell and see if there are any store or traffic cameras that may have videotaped your fall. After you do that, call us. If there is a camera, we know how to take steps to either obtain that footage or get it preserved. But do not delay in reaching out to us, because if you wait, chances are the defect or condition that caused your fall will be repaired or may disappear and the videotape of your fall could be erased or lost. If this advice helps just one slip and fall accident victim, we believe this entire web page is worth it. Again, you come first and that goes for whether you hire us or not.
An Attorney Can Determine Whether You Have a Case
Slipping and hurting yourself does not necessarily mean that you will be able to recover compensation. For example, if you fall because of your own clumsiness or carelessness you will not have a legal claim – you need to be able to establish that your accident was caused by the negligence of another person. Usually, we look to see if the person that caused or contributed to your fall knew or should have known that a dangerous tripping hazard existed. We don’t take that for granted. Many attorneys attempt to handle these cases without undergoing the cost of an expert witness – an engineer who can testify as to violations of municipal codes, coefficient of friction (how slippery the floor is) and whether the potential defendant knew or should have known of the defect that caused you to fall. To us, that is cutting corners, and that is not how we practice law. We would rather not take your case than treat it any less seriously than you and your injuries deserve. Some of the more common examples of hazardous conditions that may be caused by someone’s negligence include the following:
- Exposed electrical wiring
- Failing to manage snow or ice
- Torn carpet
- Slippery floors
- Liquid spills
- Debris in walkways
- Inadequate lighting
- Improper flooring material
- Stairwells without handrails
- Cracked pavement
It is important to keep in mind that whether a particular condition was the result of negligence depends on a number of factors. For example, a wet floor itself is not necessarily a sign that negligence has occurred. The question to ask to determine whether a particular person was negligent in a given situation is whether their actions were reasonable – so, hypothetically, while it may be reasonable to clean up a wet floor within 5 minutes of a spill occurring, waiting an hour might not, under the circumstance, be reasonable. As a result, a person who slipped and fell within 5 minutes of a spill happening would likely not be able to recover compensation, but a person who slipped an hour after an accident will probably have a stronger case.
Find a Slip and Fall Attorney
The information above should make it clear that you should find a slip and fall attorney in New Jersey as soon as you can after an accident occurs. Don’t just call the first attorney whose ad appears on your computer or television screen, however. Naturally, we would like you to call us, but below are reasons why we think you should call us if you are a victim of a slip and fall accident:
- An Attorney’s Experience – As Salomon & Aquino, LLC and its predecessor, we bring over 54 years – more than a CENTURY OF EXPERIENCE to the table. Michael Aquino, Esq. has almost 30 years’ experience litigating these types of claims. Setting aside experience, if we accept your case we always use an expert and always personally visit the site of the fall with you to make our own assessment of what happened. Experience and passion to do what is right for you is a potent combination on your side.
- A Lawyer’s Personal Style – Call us and experience our informal natural style firsthand. We usually return every call the same day or, at the latest, within 24 hours. There is no such thing as the “lawyer is too busy to speak with you.” What are we here for, if not to help you?
- Fees – We don’t charge a fee if we don’t win. Other attorneys do the same, so the real reason is what are you getting for your fee? With us, you get personal attention, a staff that will treat you like family and a no-cost approach to WINNING your case and putting your interest first. At the end of the day, nothing else really matters. Call a New Jersey Slip and Fall Lawyer Today to Discuss Your Case.
Call a New Jersey Slip and Fall Lawyer Today to Discuss Your Case
If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident that you believe was caused by another person’s carelessness, call us and schedule an appointment for your FREE consultation at 973-278-1124. With one call you can have us working to protect your interests and begin to prepare and present the strongest case on your behalf.